Have you been cleaning your kitchen hood regularly? To avoid kitchen fires, your hood vent needs to be cleaned at least once a month. LA Hood Cleaning provides safe and affordable commercial hood cleaning services.
Kitchen Hood Cleaning Reasons
Commercial hoods need to be cleaned often to prevent grease buildup in the ductwork. This can cause many problems:
- Disease Prevention
- Cleaning range hoods promote hygiene by removing grease that attracts vermin.
- Ventilation Enhanced
- Cleaning your kitchen exhaust hood will stop lingering smoke, steam and smells caused by food particles trapped from entering your kitchen.
- Code Compliance
- Commercial kitchen owners must ensure that their commercial kitchens comply with fire code requirements.
- Lower your insurance premiums
- As an incentive to clean the kitchen, insurance companies love to give discounts on rates to responsible kitchen owners.
- Lower Fire Risk
- Professional range hood cleaners inspect and scrub your hood to reduce the chance of cooking fires.
NFPA Kitchen Hood Cleaning Requirements To Increase Fire Safety
The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), requires that certified and trained personnel clean exhausts and hoods from restaurant kitchens on a regular schedule. The following is their cleaning schedule:
- MONTHLY – Systems for solid fuel cooking operations
- QUARTERLY-Systems for high-volume cooking operations like 24-hour cooking, charbroiling or wok cooking
- SEMIANNUALLY – Systems for moderate-volume cooking operations
- ANNUALLY – Systems that serve low-volume operations such as day camps, seasonal businesses or senior centers
According to NFPA Kitchen Hood Cleaning Rules, “Upon inspection, if there are deposits from grease-laden vapors in the exhaust system, the whole system shall be cleaned by a properly qualified and certified person or company )…”
Additionally, all “”Hoods and grease removal devices, fans, fan, ducts and other appurtenances must be cleaned to remove combustible pollutants prior to surfaces becoming highly contaminated with grease, oily sludge, or grease.”
You can find more information and a deeper dive into the requirements by downloading the “NFPA 96 Standard for Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations” catalog from the NFPA website.
The exhaust system comprises the hood, filters and fan.
How to Clean Your Commercial Hood
- It is best to clean your commercial hood at the following times:
- Notice that the hood in your kitchen is not clearing smoke.
- You can hear your motor getting louder.
- You are a consistent cook of a large number of dishes.
- You notice persistent odors.
- You’re preparing to prepare a large meal such as wedding rehearsal dinner.
How Often Should You Clean Restaurant/Commercial Hoods?
You may need to clean your commercial or restaurant hoods more frequently depending on the type and frequency of its use. Commercial hoods and restaurant hoods require monthly cleanings in order to protect customers and staff. Hospital kitchens and other establishments that have less frequent cooking can opt to clean their hoods once a month.
Seasonal cleanings are necessary if you live in a home with a kitchen hood. It’s best to be safe and schedule regular inspections and cleanings. No matter what type of hood you have, it is important to change out the filter at least once per month.
How to Clean Your Range Hood
It’s possible that you are wondering how to effectively clean your kitchen hoods to remove all grease. The following steps are required for commercial hood cleaning:
- Start by removing or popping out your reusable filters.
- To clean the filter of grease and oil, use a dishwasher-safe cleaner or degreaser, except if you have a charcoal filter that will need to be replaced.
- Rinse the filter. Place it back in the commercial hood.
- Spray the degreaser on the hood and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse the hood with water.
- Clean the vents of grease in the same way.
- If you are unable to remove all grease from your vent, contact a professional.
- The same degreaser can be used to clean the blower wheels.
- You should replace your motor if your fan is not performing well.
- Get help from a professional company.
LA Hood Cleaning is the best choice for professional kitchen hood cleaning. LA Hood Cleaning is a professional hood cleaner with years of experience. We proudly provide cleaning services to top-rated restaurants.
No matter if you have a residential or commercial hood, our highly-trained technicians will inspect it on your schedule. They’ll then make sure your property is safe so that you can serve more delicious dishes.
Call LA Hood Cleaning at 310-340-6232 today!